We value and contribute to the local communities where we operate throughout Australia and want these communities to be happy, healthy places to live and work.
The benefits are mutual:
- In contributing to community, we aim to ensure Glencore mines are economically, socially and environmentally sustainable.
- Our operations generate jobs, infrastructure, income for local and regional suppliers and many additional community benefits.
- We work in partnership with community groups.
- We are transparent and we engage with community stakeholders on a regular basis.
We are proud to be a part of mining regions, extending from:
- the Hunter Valley in New South Wales to the Bowen Basin in Queensland
- north-west Queensland metals-producing Mount Isa to McArthur River lead-zinc mine in the Northern Territory
- copper-producing Cobar in central western New South Wales to the Goldfields region of Western Australia, home to our nick-cobalt resource.
Respect for all people
We respect and value everyone in the community. Our business interacts with communities across Australia, from capital cities to rural and regional towns and remote Indigenous communities.
Our operating regions have been inhabited by Indigenous people for centuries. We recognise the unique role Indigenous people play in Australian culture and respect their customs, interests and rights.
In addition, some of our mines have been operating in their communities for decades.
Consultation leads to solutions
Community support programs
Glencore seeks to deliver positive and lasting social and economic benefits in each region. Each year, our Community Investment program supports organisations and groups involved in:
- capacity building, including education/training, enterprise development and economic diversity
- additional needs identified in community planning at a local or regional level.