AURUKUN BAUXITE PROJECT
At Glencore, sustainability is integrated throughout our business, with a strong focus on operating safely and protecting the health of our employees, minimising our environmental impact and investing in our local communities.
Towards a positive future
Sustainable development is at the heart of our operations and involves:
- balancing social, environmental and economic considerations
- operating to leading standards of health, safety and environmental management
- contributing to the development of sustainable communities
- building and maintaining constructive, long standing relationships with our stakeholders, including our host communities
- continuously improving our performance by making sustainable development an integral part of our decision-making process.
About the project
Glencore proposes to develop a new open cut bauxite mine in western Cape York, Queensland. Bauxite is the primary ore from which aluminium is extracted.
One of the largest communities in western Cape York, Aurukun is steeped in cultural history.
Read the latest publications on Glencore's global approach and progress to sustainability-related activities.
Learn about Glencore's global approach to climate change.