McArthur River Mine statement on zinc-lead concentrate spills
21 May 2021
MRM takes the protection of the environment very seriously.
Any concentrate spill from road trains on the Carpentaria Highway is reported to the regulator and subject to a full investigation to identify the root cause and corrective actions.
As a result of recent investigations, we have spent time with our local road train haulage contractor company to review and reinforce a number of measures including:
- inspection of all road trains on site and repair of faulty or defective trailer covers
- enforcing a fill level for the loading of trucks
- reinforcing with our contractors the need to maintain their trucks to the required standard, including the hydraulic trailer lids
- providing reviser training courses for all our contractors’ truck operators
- speed limiting of road trains
- three separate inspections of each road train before leaving the mine site to ensure covers are correctly locked down and that no concentrate is on any external surface
- installation of cameras at the site weighbridge in April to confirm cleanliness of trucks and trailers
- regular inspections of public and site road surfaces
If a spill does occur, it is cleaned by an onsite response team to remove all concentrate and soils if affected. Testing undertaken to verify clean-up shows that levels are within health and environmental guidelines.
For further information, please contact:
Francis De Rosa
m: +61 417 074 751
e: Francis De Rosa
m: +61 418 251 774
e: Tracy Jones
Notes for editors
Glencore is one of the world’s largest global diversified natural resource companies and a major producer and marketer of more than 60 responsibly-sourced commodities that advance everyday life. The Group's operations comprise around 150 mining and metallurgical sites and oil production assets.
With a strong footprint in over 35 countries in both established and emerging regions for natural resources, Glencore's industrial activities are supported by a global network of more than 30 marketing offices. Glencore's customers are industrial consumers, such as those in the automotive, steel, power generation, battery manufacturing and oil sectors. We also provide financing, logistics and other services to producers and consumers of commodities. Glencore's companies employ around 135,000 people, including contractors.
Glencore is proud to be a member of the Voluntary Principles on Security and Human Rights and the International Council on Mining and Metals. We are an active participant in the Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative. Our ambition is to be a net zero total emissions company by 2050. For more information, visit .
About McArthur River Mine
McArthur River Mine is located in the Northern Territory approximately 970km south-east from Darwin and 60km south-west of its closest township, Borroloola. McArthur River Mine mines one of the world’s largest zinc and lead deposits.
McArthur River Mine provides direct employment to about 1,150 people, including contractors. In 2020, we contributed over $500 million to the local, Territory and national economies through our payment of wages, spend on goods and services from about 900 suppliers – much of which we sourced in the Territory – taxes and community investment projects.