WHO WE ARE
CSA Mine is one of Australia’s longest operating copper mines with a history stretching back almost 150 years.
At 1.75 kilometres deep, it is the second deepest copper mine in Australia.
CSA stands for 'Cornish, Scottish and Australia', after the nationalities of its first owners.
Read on to learn about the history that shaped who we are today.
Mining in the early years
Copper, lead and zinc was discovered in 1871 and mine development at CSA began in the early 1900s. Mining occurred intermittently on the CSA leases until a significant resource was discovered by Broken Hill South Pty Ltd in 1961. As a result of this discovery, the site was transitioned to an underground operation in 1965.
The mine was acquired by CRA in 1980 and sold to Golden Shamrock Mines Pty Ltd (GSM) in 1993. GSM was in turn acquired by Ashanti Gold Fields in the same year.
Glencore assumes ownership
In 1997, the operation ran into financial difficulties and was placed in receivership. The mine was placed under care and maintenance on 20 January 1998. Glencore acquired the CSA Mine leases and site facilities and restarted mining operations in July 1999.